Sunday, September 30, 2007

Brian MacKay-Lyons

The Brian MacKay-Lyon's lecture was over a week ago, actually it was close to two weeks ago, but I feel it serves as a good blog topic. A lot of the concepts he spoke of really stood out to me which is really something since I have never been intrigued by architecture before. Firstly, his concept of sustainability struck a cord. I really appreciated how MacKay-Lyons looked at architecture and that the environment as well as cultural aspects were constantly taken in to consideration. He spoke of social agency - urbanism, humanism; he claimed that buildings should be 'custom made', so to speak, for the communities that will be using them. His concepts of the community working together with it's structures spoke volumes and it was refreshing to see that people still harbored such concerns.

Brian MacKay-Lyons also touched on his design techniques which were also interesting. He claimed that his vinacular buildings were extrememly functional unlike a lot of modern architecture. He explained that his buildings were/are made to use up as much space as possible within the structure while using as little land as possible around the structure. Again I loved this concept of space and it's importance. MacKay-Lyons described his work as ship-like, ghost-like and generally 'diagonal'. He said that he started out by making very simple vinacular structures and then proceded to build upon his initial ideas and go for a more abstract approach. This notion of metamorphasis made me appreciate his work even more, for I truly respect artists that are open to change and forever continue to grow.

Usually I find flaws in what is presented to me; basically, I'm generally quite critical. However, in light of this aspect of myself, I genuinely liked and appreciated Brian MacKay Lyon's work. His concepts and finished products impressed me greatly and I'd really like to see more of his work around me in the future.

No comments: