Thursday, September 20, 2007

Visual culture - my first reaction.

Thus far Visual Culture has been an interesting class -- we have already talked about the meaning of it and the different ways in which it is represented. The meaning of 'visual culture' is basically what we see during any given day; it includes artwork, advertisements, photographs, symbols, signs etc. Though the definition seems vague, I have found already that it changes from person to person. I have noticed this mostly in seminar, but I'll talk about that more later.

Representation in regards to V.C. (visual culture) is basically the use of words and imagery to create meaning and give insight in to the world around us. This is important -- we all interpret things differently so how can we truly understand some thing's representation? We do this by seeing, I believe; looking beyond the obvious and analyzing the subtleties of what we see.

Alright, now for what I have noted in seminar; we all have different ideas of what art is. I have already commented about this on the blog site, but I find it really fascinating and want to elaborate on it. One of the girls in my classroom argued that we must see everyone's creative work as art. This includes all mediums - painting drawing and even digital photography. Digital photography stuck with me for I believe there is a grey area there that must be addressed. I have two images I would like to show to illustrate my point.

This is the mona lisa painted by the great Leonardo Di Vinci...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a classic 'myspace' image. It has been edited. Colours have been intensified, parts have been airbrushed and features enhanced. Very little effort was put in to this...how can it be art?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I believe there are a lot of digital artists, however, I don't believe everyone deserves the title of being an artist. People spend their lives devoted to their craft and work to bettering themselves day in and day out...you can not tell me my friend here is an artist just like Leonardo Di Vinci.....you just can't.

That's my post for now, more to come soon!
-Ariella

No comments: